Periodontics is the specialty of dentistry that includes the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases affecting periodontal – tissue that holds the tooth: gum, bone, dental alveolar ligament, cement and the tooth itself
Periodontal disease – periodontitis as it is popularly called – evolving over a period of time, but constant and devastating effects of gingival retraction appears only after teeth fall. Early symptoms are not always obvious to the patient – such as simple gingival bleeding, which led to increased disease incidence.
Risk factors include:
- Plaque is the primary factor determining periodontal disease where oral hygiene is poor;
- Dentures incorrectly adjusted;
- Dental crowding;
- Gnashing of teeth (bruxism);
- Bad habits – smoking, alcohol consumption, drugs;
- Medicines used to treat cardiovascular disease, neurological malignancies.General factors:
- Heredity (genetic predisposition);
- Nutritional deficiency (hypovitaminosis A, C, B, PP, D);
- Hematological diseases, cardiovascular;
- Endocrine disorders (thyroid, parathyroid, pituitary, diabetes, puberty, pregnancy, menopause);
- Immune deficiency (AIDS, agranulocytosis).
In our clinic, we realize a comprehensive treatment of periodontal rehabilitation, which includes several steps:
- educating of patients for optimal techniques of cleaning of the oral cavity.
- Initial therapy: oral cavity sanitation, hygiene training, and subgingival scaling
- curettage with future esthetic composite immobilization.
Treatment of periodontal disease depends not only from experienced and qualified dentist but also of the patient and his consistency in maintaining a strict oral hygiene and regular maintenance checks.