Orthodontics - is a relatively young compartment of dentistry, but its roots go back to ancient times. Developing at a dynamic pace, orthodontics is increasingly occupying an independent place in the field of dentistry.
Orthodontics studies the causes of the appearance and development patterns of malocclusions, develops methods of diagnosis, methods of prevention and treatment of abnormalities of tooth position, the shape of the dental arch, occlusion. Orthodontics deals with monitoring the correct and harmonious development of the jaws, normalizes the functions of the dental system, removes aesthetic problems of the smile and face, thus influencing the development of the whole body.
There are currently 6 main directions of orthodontics:
- Preventive orthodontics - is applied in children's groups. Following a screening, a routine examination identifies children who already need orthodontic treatment and those who are at risk of developing dento-maxillary abnormalities. Thus, measures are taken to prevent and prevent them by removing vicious habits and educating the right skills.
- Specialized treatment for adolescents and children - treatment of dento-maxillary anomalies, disorganized position of the teeth, interarcadic relationships (bite), during temporary, mixed and permanent dentition.
- Orthodontic treatment of adults that takes place as a stage of preparation for orthopedic treatment.
- Orthodontic rehabilitation in patients with congenital maxillofacial abnormalities, patients with facial trauma in childhood.
- Correction of the shape of the dental arch and the position of the teeth, recovery and re-education of the mimicry and masticatory muscles with the help of orthodontic appliances, as well as fixing the results of surgical correction of malocclusions, which usually takes place around the age of 14-16.
- Orthopedic treatment of children and adolescents in order to properly form the occlusion and functions of the dental system.
Orthodontic treatment is performed following the examination of the orthodontic specialist and the analysis of paraclinical examinations (OPG, face and profile teleradiography, model study).